Thursday 4 August 2016

Why oh why do I do this to myself?!?

Well I will start of by telling you of my successes. I have managed to complete 2 more dresses for Pebble with the fabric I bought last year it's mentioned in this blog 

Anyway despite the pattern saying I needed 2.5 yards for one dress and having 1 meter each of this fabric I actually got two dresses out of it and had material spare (I did use a cheep material for lining though). 
So here they are dress number one:



Dress number 2:


Feel pretty pleased with them, struggling to get the neckline to have no tiny gathers at the corners still but can't really notice unless you're looking!

So that's the week's successes. Now for the less successful. The last two nights I have been staying up late working on Nemo's birthday cake. I have set a certain standard for myself with Nemo and Pebbles cakes so far 

Finding Nemo cake (Nemo's 1st birthday)
Dinosaur cake (Nemo's 2nd birthday)
Totoro cake (Pebble's 1st birthday cake) 

Castle with moat cake (Hubby's birthday cake!- although a little bit cheeky as I used some toys instead of fondant icing for the animals and people!) 

So building up a certain degree of confidence I decided to try and do a pirate cake this year... Not only a pirate cake with a fondant pirate but also a pirate boat shaped cake. 

Big mistake

The fondant part has gone..... Ok ish 

Pretty happy with Mr Pirate although he keeps on getting shorter and fatter and needs reshaping! 


Mr Shark is ok, but sure it will do


Same story for Mrs Parrot


Pretty pleased with my treasure chest which I modelled around a rubbish bin Nemo has for his toy rubbish truck. 

So last night I was up until 12 attempting to make a pirate shaped cake. 

What a nightmare!!! 
I found myself spending most the night cursing as my cake collapsed, then just looked rubbish with butter cream icing on and then I just totally failed to do any decent job at putting fondant icing on it. I think I just stayed up too late doing it and out of complete frustration just made it worse and worse! 
I told myself over and over again that from now on I would just be buying birthday cakes, even though Hubby (admittedly rightly so) told me that I would always make the children cakes despite the stress!

So here it is


It's wonky, messy and I had to compromise on the shape a lot to get it stable enough. 
Having spent hours yesterday cleaning and tidying the entire house I woke up this morning, with a baking hang over. This is how I left the kitchen (being midnight I had to just leave the carnage as it was)




I now have the unenviable task of cleaning up this mess and trying to somehow make this pirate ship look alright!! 
I couldn't sleep last night trying to think about how to rescue this cake so am going to try out a few different ideas today-wish me luck. 

Oh actually one more success, Nemo only wet himself once yesterday hurray!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh Becky, nothing like a homemade cake! Have to agree, you will end up making cakes every year!
    The ship will look fab when you have finished, looking forward to the updates! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Lea. It will look brilliant once you add the decorations. And it does not matter how it looks it's that you took the trouble to make a cake for him and he'll love you forever.

    ReplyDelete